- Individual team sizes shall be limited to a maximum of 33 players. If registration numbers for a team exceed 33 players, that team must divide into at least 2 teams of at least 17 players each. A franchise may choose, at their own discretion, to split teams with less than 34 players.
Team Division for Each Age Group League age for team composition is determined by the age of the player on July 31st of the current year. It is encouraged and expected that teams are split with as equal talent as possible.
- Minors (Age qualified 2nd and 3rd Grade) An equal number, (+/- 1), of 7 year-olds shall be placed on each resulting Minors team following a split. An equal number, (+/- 1), of 8 year-olds shall be placed on each resulting Minors team following a split. An equal number, (+/- 1), of 9 year-olds shall be placed on each resulting Minors team following a split.
- Major J.V. (Age qualified 4th and 5th Grade) An equal number, (+/- 1), of 9 year-olds shall be placed on each resulting Major J.V. team following a split. An equal number, (+/- 1), of 10 year-olds shall be placed on each resulting Major J.V. team following a split. An equal number, (+/- 1), of 11 year-olds shall be placed on each resulting Major J.V. team following a split.
- Major Varsity (Age qualified 6th Grade) An equal number, (+/- 1), of 11 year-olds shall be placed on each resulting Major Varsity team following a split. An equal number, (+/- 1), of 12 year-olds shall be placed on each resulting Major Varsity team following a split.
- Senior J.V. (Age qualified 7th Grade) An equal number, (+/- 1), of 12 year-olds shall be placed on each resulting Senior J.V. team following a split. An equal number, (+/- 1), of 13 year-olds shall be placed on each resulting Senior J.V. team following a split.
- Senior Varsity (Age qualified 8th Grade) An equal number, (+/- 1), of 13 year-olds shall be placed on each resulting Senior Varsity team following a split. An equal number, (+/- 1), of 14 year olds shall be placed on each resulting Senior Varsity Team following a split.
Returning Football Players and Cheerleaders
Thurston County Youth Football League operates with 14 Franchises, all of which serve a specific geographic boundary and feed into specific High Schools. This provides many benefits, including allowing players/cheerleaders to move through the age divisions while participating with TCYFL, keeping consistency with teammates. This format will strengthen the unity of the players/cheerleaders as they prepare to move into High School level activities. This format also allows for High School programs to continue to be engaged with the TCYFL program, without criticism of potential recruiting concerns as the players within the franchise are consistent with students in their school boundaries.
Players/Cheerleaders will be aligned to a franchise based on the following guidelines:
- Players and Cheerleaders will register to a franchise based first on the Public School they will attend in the fall. Elementary/Middle School boundaries generally are designated to feed into specific High Schools. The TCYFL franchise names are consistent with High School names to easily identify which franchise a player/cheerleader should align to. Registrants may be requested to provide documentation to verify school registration for the current season.
- In some circumstances, Public Schools may have split boundaries and feed into multiple High Schools. The franchise alignment for player/cheerleader at this point will be determined by the home address, to designate which of the High Schools they would attend once at they are of High School age.
- Home School, Private School, Specialty Schools - Registrants that attend schools that do not align to a Public High School, will register for the franchise that aligns to their home address. i.e. the home address will fall within a Public High School boundary, which will designate the franchise alignment.
- Out of TCYFL boundary schools- Registrants that live and attend school outside of the TCYFL boundary, may register for the franchise of their choice.
- If a franchise does not field a team at a designated age division, players/cheerleaders that would have aligned to that franchise/team will have the option to select another franchise within their Pubic School District Boundaries. (i.e. registrants cannot jump to a franchise that aligns to a High School in another District)
Waivers / Out of Boundary Registration:
- In order for a player/cheerleader to register to participate outside of their designated Franchise per the above guidelines, they must first obtain written approval from their designated Franchise Head Coach to "release" them from their franchise, followed by obtaining written approval from the Franchise Head Coach "accepting" them to a particular franchise. (email is acceptable written approval)
- If approval to play outside of the designated franchise is not granted by BOTH the "releasing" and "accepting" Franchise Head Coaches, and the parents still wish to pursue registering outside of the designated boundaries, they may make a request for consideration by the TCYFL Board for approval.
- All participants must be registered, either paper or electronic, with TCYFL in order to participate in any practice, game or other TCYFL activity.
- Players may play up in the next age group with Franchise Head Coach, Team Coach, and Parent/Guardian permission. No player may play down an age level.
- A player may not be re-aligned or change age division after the start of the first game.
- Each Franchise Head Coach will supply a list of out of district players and their out of district coaches to the TCYFL Director of Rules one week prior to the Jamboree. Any player identified to be registered out of their designated boundaries without the appropriate approvals will be responsible for the cost to replace their game jersey in re-aligning them to the appropriate franchise.
Teams and Districts/Schools
- Rams South Bay, Pleasant Glade, Mountain View (North of 27th and East of Judd), Lacey, Olympic View (North of I5), Chinook
- Blazers Mountian View(North of 27th and East of Judd are Rams all other are Blazers), Chambers Praire, Horizons, Komachin, Lakes, Woodland
- Hawks Meadows, Seven Oakes, Lydia Hawks, Nisqually, Olympic View (South of I5), Evergreen Forest
- Bears Lincoln, Centennial, Madison, McKenney, Pioneer, Roosevelt, Boston Harbor, Washington, Reeves
- Cougars Garfield, Jefferson, LP Brown, Hansen, Mclane, Griffin, Marshall
- T-Birds East Olympia, Littlerock, Peter G. Schmidt, Bush
- Wolves Black Lake, Tumwater Hill, Michael T. Simmons, Tumwater Middle
- Tornadoes Prairie, Mckenna, Mill Pond, Lacamas, Southworth, Ft. Stevens, Ridgeline, Yelm Middle
- Mountaineers Rainier Schools
- Warriors Rochester Schools
- Sentinels Cheerydale Primary, Harriet Taylor, Anderson Island, Chloe Clark, Saltar's Point, Beachwood, Carter Lake, Clarkmoor, Greenwood, Hillside, Evergreen
- Climbers Serving both Shelton School District and Mason County School District